Struggling with emotions or relationship issues?
Rates of emotional distress and ‘mental health’ issues in women are rising. Women are twice as likely to seek counselling for depression and anxiety plus ‘hidden hurts’ such as sexual abuse, emotional abuse, the effects of violence and other forms of trauma. Psychotherapy can sensitively and compassionately help you develop new and more effective ways of dealing with these difficult issues.
Do you need women’s mental health counselling?
Mental health and physical well-being are clearly associated with social inequalities in relation to wealth, class, gender, race, ability and sexual orientation. Regarding mental health, the United Nations (2017) has sternly called for mental health services to “shift from focusing on ‘chemical imbalances’ (in the brain) to focusing on the power imbalances that determine the social and emotional environment”. Mental health issues often emerge when you’re deeply compromised by power inequalities and where your needs and choices are thwarted.
“If you are labelled, you are not seen.” – Humberto Maturana, Professor
Will it help?
For most people, Possibilities counselling is very helpful. Creating a safe place within therapy is an essential first step to begin addressing your challenges and issues. Counselling and our ‘enhanced’ Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) can help you make sense of your thoughts, feelings and ways of relating to yourself and others and what has or is happening to you. We will carefully adapt the therapy to meet your needs. We don’t have all the answers, no-one has. However, we can work together to help you heal your wounds and begin creating a life you would prefer living.
“The world will be saved by the western woman.” Dalai Lama.
What issues can Possibilities help you with?
We offer assistance with a wide variety of issues.
- Stress and recovering from stressful situations.
- Anxiety, depression, emotional distress and unhelpful ways of coping.
- Loneliness and feeling disconnected from yourself and others.
- Enduring ‘hidden hurts’ and wounds such as problems arising from past or current physical, emotional or sexual abuse, neglect and trauma or PTSD experiences.
- Complicated emotions like guilt, shame, anger and difficulty trusting others.
- Excessive people pleasing.
- Relationship issues. Addressing repeating patterns of unsatisfying and destructive relationships.
- Losses such as bereavement, miscarriage and abortion.
- Feelings of self-hate, worthlessness, feeling not good enough and inadequate.
- Control issues: self-destructive and self-harming behaviours, such as cutting, eating distress, weight management issues, overworking and perfectionism.
- Body image issues.
Allow us to reassure you that professional help is at hand. We offer services that aim to reduce the fear and uncertainty about getting help. Arrange an initial consultation ‘taster’ session to discuss your needs, in privacy and comfort, to obtain a sense of how we help and for if this is the right direction for you.
And the day came when the risk (it took) to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
What our previous clients have said
I experienced severe trauma and developed a Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder which meant I wasn’t coping well with day to day life. With CBT Therapy at Possibilities, I’ve made a number of positive changes. It was a struggle at times but my psychotherapist helped me feel safe and capable as we worked through things. I’m now back at work and my confidence is growing. I have a life again. I’m so glad I took that scary first step and called. If you’re feeling unsure, I highly recommend you call them too.
– JT, Aberdeenshire: Trauma Counselling Aberdeen.
I thought my life wasn’t worth living. My depression convinced me I was worthless and useless and my situation was hopeless. If you’re feeling something similar, go to Possibilities. They made an enormous difference to my life and they can do the same for you.
– AD, Aberdeen: Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy for Depression.
My relationship with my partner has vastly improved. We’re more able to communicate and we’re spending more time together and having fun! I can’t believe we were on the verge of separating when we contacted Possibilities as a last resort. I can’t thank them enough.
– SMcM, Aberdeenshire: Couples Counselling Aberdeen.
Possibilities was outstanding. I’ve overcome my anxiety and have the tools to keep it at bay should I need them in the future.
– MK, Aberdeen: CBT Therapy for Anxiety.
Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it.